Sunday, June 05, 2005

A real life George Costanza

One thing I've noticed, since I have started this blog, I seem to remember events that happen in the day much better. All because I feel this uncontrolable urge to BLOG IT. But it sure makes for good content.

After a long day of homework, housework, and internetting, I drove over to the local store for a Diet Coke and a pack of cigarettes. I walked to the back where the drinks are and this short, plump, and balding man, stood there in my way, trying to decide which Cola he wanted. Me that's easy Diet Coke, period. So I stood there for just a second and said "excuse me". He looks at me as if I slapped his mother (I just want my Diet Coke) and he quickly grabbed his drink and went up the aisle to the register, very quickly waddling up there.

Now I see why he was in a hurry. He had to write a check. Great, I just wanted a Diet coke and a pack of smokes man. But wait, he stands there as if waiting on something. The cashier just stands there and I with no choice stood there. Just when I was about to say "excuse me" again, this little girl and I assume her mother, wife of strange man, comes running up to the register (where the bloody hell did they come from? It's a small freaking store!). Both of them carrying some Misc groceries. Great all this for a Diet Coke and Smokes!

So then Strange Man pulls out this Trifold wallet that appeared to have his previous 5 years of tax documents in it. I don't know if you remember that episode of Seinfeld, where George couldn't sit upright because of his massive wallet, but this was it! I am not exagerating either, he had one of those thick rubberbands holding it shut. Dear lord, just let me have my coke and I will forgo the cigarettes!

He's looking through this mini library of congress for a minute then pulls out his checkbook again. He then proceeds to write the check. At this point, wife and child has already took the groceries and went back to the car. Oh and nothing was ever said until the cashier asked for his driver liscence #, "George" mumbles a string of incoherent numbers and looks at us both as if he was withholding a government sercet. Of course the cashier had no idea what he said so she asks to see his licsence. DEAR GOD NOT AGAIN! He pulls out the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich from his back pocket and removes the rubberband, digs and digs until finally she got the number, he got another valuable receipt that he must keep for the next 5 years and I finally got my Diet Coke and my pack of smokes.

Can I just go back to work.....Please?

No comments: