Friday, July 29, 2005

Grandma sues Rockstar Games

It was only a matter of time, and the woodpecker has popped out from the clock: a civil suit against Rockstar has been launched seeking unspecified damages as a result of the entire Hot Coffee fiasco. The suit alleges that Rockstar and its parent company, Take-Two Interactive, engaged in misleading and deceptive practices in packaging and selling Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. The suit was brought on behalf of consumers by Florence Cohen, aged 85, of New York: Grandma bought the game for her grandson. Her 14-year old grandson.

Read more...

Here's my thought on this......WTF is a 14 year old doing playing GTA SA to begin with. The problem is not the system, it lies with the parents and guardians of children to prevent them from playing games of this nature.

5 comments:

Marti said...

I agree.

I have two teens who are gamers (1 male and 1 female, despite the image that gaming is a male-dominated interest) When they want a new game, we look at it together. If they rent something, I go watch them play for a few minutes. If I see something I think we ought to talk about, we discuss it. I'm open, they're open, no problems.

Wes said...

I commend you on your parenting. I am an avid gamer and have been since I was 5 years old. My parents never really had to "screen" my games becuase there wasn't really a level of violence like todays standard. I am not a big fan of censorship and I feel it is truly up to the parents to control what their kids are involved with. I like how you openly observe and take the time to discuss these issues with your kids.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised it took so long for the first lawsuit to hit.

You're completely right, though. You have to monitor what you're buying these kids. Don't just buy them a game, throw them in a room, and go on your merry way. The one good thing about this whole San Andreas nonsense is that it's raising awareness for those parents who didn't know about the violence/and or possible sexual content in video games. Some of them might think twice now.

Anonymous said...

Help me I am looking for someone to blame for violent teens. I know it is video games and movies. The goverment should make a law against them that way parents can leave there kids alone watching TV and playing games and I can do whatever I want and don't need to do my job as a parent. And while the goverment is at it they should block all bad websites so I don't have to talk to my kid about what they do online and make sure they are safe.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Grandma should educate herself on game ratings before purchasing whatever it is the little gamer wants. If she can't take the time to self-educate then she should just buy a gift-card or better yet, a true granny gift like socks and underwear.