Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Does your first car influence who you are?

I was reading this post from Mickey Finn about her first car and she asked if anyone else have fond memories of his/her first car. Once I started to make my comment, I had an epiphany. You see my first car was a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4 door 4x4. I was 16 at the time and my self esteem wasn't quite what it is these days. I had the typical acne and was a little overweight, basically your average 16 y/o kid at the time. That vehicle actually boosted me and helped me through that time in my life.

It was a nice clean Jeep. Rugged and versatile, I developed a real sense of adventure. It was roomy and comfortable and all my friends would pile in and head out. Everyone loved the Jeep. I kept a duffel bag in the back filled with a sleeping bag, pillow, change of clothes, and a shower kit. I became a vagabond of sorts. Wherever I stopped is where I slept. All I had to do was fold the seat down and viola, instant bedroom.

It was a common occurrence to see the Jeep at the lake (at one of our many after football game Friday night parties) backed up to the campfire with the liftgate open, music just a blasting. I spent many nights in the back of that Jeep and as far as memories go, well some things are best left not talked about.

But it was with this in mind that I realized how important that Jeep was to me when I was young. I would like to say that the Jeep symbolized me. Rough, tough, versatile, outgoing and independent, but after putting some thought into it, I was trying to become what the Jeep symbolized. It worked, that Jeep actually helped shape me into the person I have become.

Maybe I am way off base here. I know this holds true in my case, but I would like to know what you think about this theory and I would love to here stories about how a vehicle might have changed you.

Let me know what you think.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Hey Wes....just stopped by to see your Collective Soul pics! Great pics! Thanks for stopping by my blog...stop by again!

mickey_finn said...

My 1946 Chevvy (Bevvie the Chevvie) presented me with a huge sense of independence and freedom. This has been carried forth throughout my life. Thanks to my first car, I gained confidence in myself and knew that I could do whatever I wanted with flare. It's ironic, though, that within 2 weeks after my selling Bevvie, she laid down and died to never more let her engine roar!