Sunday, November 06, 2005

E-paper moves closer



Reuters - In Neal Stephenson's sci-fi novel "The Diamond Age," a young girl's companion is a book with amazing qualities -- it talks, and the words magically change with the story.
A decade after Stephenson's book was published, what was once labeled science fiction is finding its way to the real-world market.

"Electronic paper" is a display technology that makes possible flexible or even rollable displays which, unlike current computer screens, can be read in bright sunlight. But, much like when LCD displays came to the market, consumers are first likely to see the technology in clocks and watches.

The popular example of an electronic newspaper that automatically updates itself wirelessly is still years away.

Would you like to know more?

4 comments:

zandperl said...

Ooh, that sounds promising.

On an aside, have you actually read "A Diamond Age"? I ended up getting it as a book on tape and "reading" it on my daily commute.

Anonymous said...

http://geektechnique.org/index.php?id=254

Check it out, looks cool. One of these days I'll get an identity, untill then I'll be a nobody.

naridu said...

I've been hearing about this electronic paper for years. Sounds exciting, great for trees everywhere. (I have read 'A diamond Age' it's one of my favourites) For textbooks and similar uses I think it will be fantastic, but I think I'll stick to my paperback novels for just a little longer. It's the aesthetic. ;)

zandperl said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Captain. :) I found you through BE.

Naridu:
My worry if they become commonplace for textbooks is that publishers can give them expiration dates so that students would be unable to use the books after the semester of use. They might offer licenses for one semester, two years, or infinite years, all conveniently priced. Or could charge student per "pageview," so that the harder they studied, the more they'd have to pay!