Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Get this

For the last several days, I have noticed a private number on my caller ID with no message on the my voice mail. I figured it was a telemarketer but they always called during the day while I was at work, until last night. Around 6:00 pm the phone rang and it was that private number. I am usually a little hostile with these calls because most of the time it's a recording anyway.

So anyway a man says that because I have been a loyal client to my bank and have kept my account open for over 1 year, that I qualify for $400 worth of gift certificates and vouchers for $100 worth of free gas. Now I'm no fool, so I know it's a ploy but I wanted to hear their method.

This guy was smooth and asked seemingly unimportant questions but each question was getting him closer to my personal checking account. So I played along and when he finally asked ME to verify which bank I am using, I gave him a name of a bank (not mine) I called it SunTrust. I'm not even sure if there is such a bank, but like I said I wanted to hear how this guy was going to try to pull this con off. He then asked for "security purposes" could I give him my mothers maiden name and after that he asked in which city I was born. After giving him all of this information he then asked "for security purpose say my routing number backwards". This was a hard thing to fake I had to quickly think of something. After that he said to be looking for my package in the mail.

I can only imagine how many people are getting tricked into providing someone with this kind of information thinking that they are getting rewarded. It's a shame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0830051bank2.html
Look at the name on the bottom of the paperwork. Sun Trust - LOL