Sunday, September 11, 2005

A day of emotion

Today has been a tough one for me personally. The tragic death of an old friend brings thoughts of how long it has been since we have talked. It's a part of life; after graduation you gradually but inevitably lose contact with some of the best people ever in your life. As I looked at him lying in that casket, I felt shocked, the whole time I felt as if I was actually going to see him and get to talk to him again. Seeing his family for the first time in many years made me feel guilty.

Why do we let ourselves get so busy with our own life that we forget about the ones that hold a special place in our lives. And for what....I live a mediocre live, everything I have to look forward to is average. An average middle management job, an average income, an average life. What is so important in our lives that we choose not to take the time to stay in touch with those who are important to you.

It also sends me through a terrible what if situation in my head. What if everything I am working for right now is for nothing.

We all have dreams and hopes, but at what point do you start thinking about things logically and say "Ok, what if this never comes to fruition, have I wasted all this time, if so then what?"

I no longer know where I stand and getting answers is harder than one might think.

3 comments:

Bryan Edward Hill said...

Regret is the worst hell that exists on earth. Follow your bliss to keep it at bay.

I'm sorry for your loss.

BH
www.aggressivefiction.blogspot.com

TaraMetBlog said...

I'm really sorry about your friend and sorry for your pain. I know it isn't easy. thanks for the reminder to keep our friends close

Anonymous said...

The loss of someone who was once a close friend but with whom you've lost touch is extremely painful. Keeping in touch is important for the spirit - for both parties. Sometimes, through no fault of our own, we lose ourselves in the immediate world around us. I agree with what BH said - "Regret IS the worst Hell that exists on earth." Regret can be replaced, in time, with a smile as you recall the wonderful memories you made with your friend. Don't beat yourself up too much, dear friend. You are so very special to me that your posting made me realize I'm letting you slip away from me by not staying in touch. My heart hurts for you. Know you will be in my prayers.