Saturday, December 24, 2005

Wishing on a Star



This hasn't been the best of years for me. Don't get me wrong, I have been blessed with a good job and a wonderful family, but I feel like there is more awaiting for me somewhere. As I sit out on my front porch, I often look to the heavens and gaze at the stars (a habit I developed while out in the field in the Army), and I feel as if there is a peace up there that guides me to my decisions. Over the past few days I have seen two shooting stars and to me that is amazing. I can't remember ever seeing one here other than when I was a child only 6 years old, hopping off of the school bus to find my neighbor with a telescope, telling me to come see this. It was 1986 and for the first time in my life I saw a shooting star, but it wasn't just any star, it was in fact Haley's Comet. Imagine know being 25 years old and realizing that the next time I get a chance to see that comet will be when I am 82 years old. Seeing Haley's Comet twice in one lifetime is an amazing opportunity and maybe I'll get lucky. However seeing two comets so close together here recently has really been awesome. You have to be looking at just the right spot at just the right time to see one.

This speaks to me. It means something, what, I do not know, but there is a wave of change surrounding me now. I have to make some difficult decisions in the months to come and I have prayed about these matters and in my mind it all seems so clear. There is a chance to start all over with my life and progress in my career.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very great post. Some feel calm looking at stars..I feel invigorated. I guess it's because some are root bound, others are pulled up by the cosmos. It's in their carriage (body) and in their ability to see world as changing. :)

Anonymous said...

I saw one too lately.
If you are bored, come visit me.